Optimizing your PR content for search engines is an area that’s in constant flux: Google changes their algorithm often. Although the Pew State of the Media report identified searching for news online as the one factor that most affected the news business in the last decade, less than 20 percent of all press releases are optimized for news search engines.
Here are 10 tips that can help you improve ranking on Google and other search engines:
- Do keyword research, so you use words and phrases that people are actually looking for, or currently talking about, in your news content
- Use the main key phrase in the headline or the news release, blog posts or web page.
- Never use canned or duplicate content.
- Make sure ALL your PR content is original, interesting, well-written and aligns with your brand.
- Include a link to your website in any content you post. Make the key phrase the link
- Post your news content on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. Don’t post everything on all social sites – be aware of your audience and post the right content for the right people in the right place.
- Add an image and/or video to your news content for better search and pick up results.
- Use keywords to tag the image and video.
- Create partnerships with aligned websites looking for content. The links to your site or newsroom created by posting on these sites will raise your Google ranking.
- Post news content regularly – Google is looking for freshness and originality. People share and link to interesting, useful content